Friday, September 28, 2018

The Holter Monitor

The Holter Monitor

So just a day after my visit to the ER I followed it up with a visit to the Ottawa Heart Institute to be fitted for my Holter Monitor.

As defined by the Ottawa Heart Institute:
https://www.ottawaheart.ca/test-procedure/ambulatory-electrocardiogram-holter-monitor

The Holter monitor is a portable device used to make a continuous recording of your heart rate and rhythm as you go about your daily routine. Information from the device is used to detect any heart rhythm abnormalities, to help determine whether your medications need adjusting, or to match symptoms with heart activity.
So I wore this appartus for two solid weeks and only removed it when necessary to shower. I was concerned I wouldn't have any "pasties" left as I was told to go about my activities as normal.
That included cycling, running and even my cross training at Orange Theory Fitness. That was a tough one to work around, but I managed and was able to gather a lot of data for them.

Sleeping with the Holter was a challenge as I was worried I would pull out/off the leads, but surprisingly they were pretty good. I never wore the passport holder they supplied I just used a pair of my running shorts and stuffed in the pocket and no problem.
The one issue was all the pasties. I only had three to put on, but for those that had more, you have my sympathy as I think I developed a bit of a rash. I don't think I was allergic, but it was definitely during the heat wave of the summer in latter July/August. I returned the holter on the 2nd of August as the last day and my last set of pasties was the previous day and the instructions were not to wear the day of return so it worked out.

I never did get an appointment to go over my results, but the beauty of the Ottawa Heart Institute is that you can login to your account and see all the reports and diagnostics that are posted about you. Very handy!
Onto the next post when I meet the Electrophysiologist!

No comments:

Post a Comment