Friday, September 28, 2018

The Electrophysiologist

The Electrophysiologist

August 16th

I met with my electrophysiolgist for the first time. I am very impressed at the turnaround I have been receiving since being diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation.
The meeting started with his nurse (Aseel) who I met when I took the Atrial Fibrillation Class back on the 9th when I first learned that the Ottawa Heart Institute held these information sessions.
A bit of a side bar since I didn't post about this as it was held in their main auditorium at the UOHI that the class is for anyone wanting to learn more about this Arrythmia condition and the symptoms, diagnosis and potential way forwards.
I felt like the youngest if not the youngest in the crowd, but worthwhile session. However, I digress.
After my discussion with the intake nurse and going over family history and some of the medications and history thus far since the positive fitness test.
That was at least 30+ minutes of reviewing and notes on what my lifestyle was like at home, work and extra-curricular activities.
Once that interview was done I met Dr. Mehrdad Golian. This would be the cardiologist assigned to me to go over my options.
So here they are with how they were presented.
  1. Do nothing and continue with the medications I am on and pretty much deal/live with the arrythmia (AFib)
  2. Add another medicine to control my arrythmia, but at another consequence of side effects.
  3. Proceed with an Ablation
The discussion was pretty much decided for me going into the appointment. However, there are always risks when you opt in for an invasive procedure as well as this is your main organ that keeps you alive!
So after some more discussion and of course more tests I asked to be put on the list for the procdure. In the meantime, I was to be schedule for and in no particular order:
  • Thyroid blood test
  • CT scan
  • Echocardiogram
  • Sleep Apnea test
Yep more testing to figure out where I am with this AFib. I'll put some links below on my cardiologist and what is Electrophysiology.
In addition the Ablation Procdure


Dr. Golian

https://www.ottawaheart.ca/physician-researcher-profile/golian-mehrdad

Electrophysiology w/ Standard Ablation

https://www.ottawaheart.ca/the-beat/2013/04/28/cardiac-electrophysiology-repairing-rhythms-heart

Ablation (Complex)

https://www.ottawaheart.ca/complex-ablation-patient-guide

Next post...CT scan!

No comments:

Post a Comment