Monday, July 24, 2023

Canada Day 2023

On the heels of returning back from St. John's I had one day of work and then literally no prep time to actually plan to race. I managed to go from the 10K to the 5K as I've had zero time to train for a 10K and I'm sure I would have finished, but it would have been ugly. I think I can manage a 5K. I saw a few familiar faces and I said hi to many and then started to get ready as I saw the 10K runners start heading out that in less than 10 mins the 5K folks would be starting. I had not run this race as a 5K in awhile. Not since I was diagnosed with AFIB and before COVID I did the 10K. The last couple of years I had been volunteering as this race was always tricky to get volunteers since it is a national holiday and of course everyone does want to run a race. 

The race itself was fine. Weather cooperated as if you know anything in Ottawa there have been Air Quality Health Index warnings for what seemed to be like weeks from all the forest fires. It seems that the race itself may/could be cancelled as no one wants to run as if there is a lot of smoke in the air and trying to breathe.

In any event everyone that was racing was by their phones and checking email and social media and sure enough the race was a go.

I started off with Christophe but he was also volunteering so he was on a time crunch so he started at the back with me but it didn't take him long to say "have a good race!" and he was gone! 😊👋

I managed to run continuouslyexcept the one waterstop on the way, but after that I made decent time and my back felt fine. Trying to get into se Seb from 613 Physio is very hard. He fills up quicky and does amazing things. 


I did it


Always love seeing Grace.

Flat Dan

With Chrishophe and that's the last time I saw him.

So many firsts in a long time.

Official Race Photos

Heading down Campeau

Kudos to the volunteers and organizers for keeping us informed and the race run on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment