Thursday, July 13, 2023

2023 Syracuse Half Marathon

Coming off the high of Chicago I decided to take advantage of the Black Friday and head back to the Syracuse Half and join a few others to enjoy the race vibes again. Another year and a different weather outlook and a bit later so it wasn't frigid, but summer came in April. This time Kiera wanted to come along and we made it into a vacation and she had a chance to meet the running crew and of course the usual places to eat and of course any reason to get away from Ottawa and post hip replacement surgery. 

Syracuse Half Marathon 1️⃣3️⃣.1️⃣ 🚨 Post Race Report 

If you told me I would be running a half Marathon in +28C (real feel maybe +30C but didn’t feel super humid) in April in addition to Ottawa having an ice storm about two weeks ago I would say that weather is not something anyone can predict. I followed a Garmin plan for a Half (Coach Greg) and altered to adjust some of the drill workouts to work on the treadmill with steep inclines. There was a lot of power walking on the tread during the past 17 weeks. (That probably helped with some of the hills) I started the race with Suzanne, Michelle, Lisa & Guy. We hit the big hill in the first mile and we paced ourselves well. After the mega hill I set the cruise and continued to 10K before I started feeling the heat. By about the 16-18K there was a lot more walking and my legs were feeling it. Sadly the last 3K was all ☀️ and I was depleted 🥵. My quad was cramping but I limped across and earned the bag of ice which was more worthwhile than the bling 😝 I’m glad I ran it and I was concerned about not being able to finish after last weeks bailed run. I’m thankful for the group of us that did get together to do this race. Kudos to Kiera for coming down on this destination race to experience the whole Syracuse Half had to offer. Even though she didn’t come down to see me she had the best seat virtually by tracking me on the app. Thanks to those that followed along on the app and sent me some amazing “canned” cheers. Since I don’t listen to music I could hear something but had no idea it was my phone. I was able to hear them after the race.
Zucchini Sticks
Race Bib acquired
Group Shot of the Ottawa Crew
Dessert
Oven/Wood fired Pizza
Flat Dan
Post race bevvie/donut
Given the temps this was a good time.
Thanks to Dustin for the photo
The morning after Savoury waffle
Race Photo
The official certificate

No comments:

Post a Comment