Friday, November 30, 2018

Sleep Study

Sleep Apnea Study

Way back in the summer when I met with my electrophysiologist he noted that we or he recommended I get tested for Sleep Apnea since I snore and perhaps that might be a cause of my AFib.
So I waited and got a call and an official letter saying I will be ready to have a sleepover at the Sleep Clinic on the 22nd of November at the Ottawa Hospital Civic Campus!
Imagine my delight! 😉

After several weeks it was time to get to the Civic for my sleepover and I had to be there at least 30 minutes before to be prepped!

So I decided to make myself tired I would go and do an OrangeTheory Workout to get myself fatigued enough.

A lot of Splats
Good workout and saw my Gym Mom Angie who does the usual 6:45p slot. We had a great workout;  I had a quick shower and headed out to the Civic.
I got to P4 where I was instructed to park and was ready to try and find this sleep Clinic.
The only map I had was what they sent me and they labelled it Level 1 which after figuring out where I was meant the 1st floor!
I proceeded to the check in and of course I had paperwork to do!
Yes fill out how I sleep!
Once I filled this out I went and waited to be called! Watching a very snowy television. Must be Over the Air service at the Civic 😲

There was at one point Five of us waiting. I was the 2nd to arrive, but also the last to get to my "room". Go figure.
Waiting Area
Anyhow I was told to get changed and get ready as they were going to start wiring me up.
So I got into my PJ's and got ready. Sadly I don't have any photos of the lovely electrodes in my head and back, but it was just gross.
My room for the night
Once I was wired up with wires on my head, back and legs as well as an oxygen nose piece it was going to be a long night.
No cellphones!

I brought an extra throw, but it was noisy and a fan was constantly blowing so it took me a good couple of hours to get to bed. Eventually I must have passed out until I had to go for my nightly walk. So I had to buzz to get someone to unhook me and then I could go. Once I was able to get back into bed I couldn't get to sleep so I finished watching Jason Bourne that I downloaded. Yep that was going to be a long night. I have no idea what time I eventually passed out, but 5:35a came fast and it was a rude awakening.
After getting up or an attempt to roll myself out of bed I sat in the chair and he took out all the electrodes. As he was removing them he said he noted my baseline had evidence of sleep apnea! Great! He left me some paperwork as I proceeded to change and then I bathed myself to get all the electrode goop out of my hair and he left me a towel and I was free to go once I was changed so the next sleep victim err patient could try and sleep.

So with this new news they want me to try the CPAP machine (continuous positive airway pressure); however, I'm going for my surgery on the 6th of December so I decided to wait. In addition I want to see the results so I'm not interested in anything until I know that this is of some benefit to me.

My next post may be post Ablation so wish me luck all! See you on the non-AFib side.🙏

No comments:

Post a Comment